SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. SEO is all about optimizing a website for search engines. SEO is a technique for:
- Designing and developing a website to rank well in search engine results.
- Improving the volume and quality of traffic to a website from search engines.
- Marketing by understanding how search algorithms work, and what human visitors might search.
SEO is a subset of search engine marketing. SEO is also referred as SEO copyrighting, because most of the techniques that are used to promote sites in search engines, deal with text.If you plan to do some basic SEO, it is essential that you understand how search engines work.
An internet-based tool that searches an index of documents for a particular term,phraseot text specified bythe user. Commonly used to refer to large web-based search engines that search through billions of pages on the internet.
- Find matching documents and display them according to relevance.
- Frequent updates to documents searched and ranking algorithm.
- Strive to produce “better”, morerelevant relevant results than computers.
- Crawling - Process of fetching all the web pages linked to a website. This task is performed by a software called a crawler or a spider (or Googlebot, in case of Google).
- Indexing - Process of creating index for all the fetched web pages and keeping them into a giant database from where it can later be retrieved. Essentially, the process of indexing is identifying the words and expressions that best describe the page and assigning the page to particular keywords.
- Processing - When a search request comes, the search engine processes it, i.e., it compares the search string in the search request with the indexed pages in the database.
- Calculating Relevancy - It is likely that more than one page contains the search string, so the search engine starts calculating the relevancy of each of the pages in its index to the search string.
- Retrieving Results - The last step in search engine activities is retrieving the best matched results. Basically, it is nothing more than simply displaying them in the browser.
How does SEO work?
Search engine optimization is a methodology of strategies, techniques and tactics used to increase the amount of visitors to awebsite by obtaining a high-ranking placement in the search results page of a search engine (SERP) -- including Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines.
SEO helps to ensure that a site is accessible to a search engine and improves the chances that the site will be found by the search engine.